Many Faces of Go v11 Windows PC Download
Many Faces of Go v11 Windows PC Download
You can download and play this product immediately upon completion of secure credit card payment - full instructions at the bottom of the page.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE FREEWARE IGOWIN PROGRAM, THIS IS A COMPLETE VERSION OF MANY FACES OF GO, AVAILABLE AS A DOWNLOAD FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!
The Many Faces of Go is the 2002 World Computer Go Champion, 1998 World Computer Go Champion, and ten-time US Computer Go Champion. It is one of the strongest Computer Go opponents in the world, and has what is regarded as the best user interface and tutorial in western Go software titles. Many other great features include an integrated IGS client so you can play on the internet, a sophisticated set of go problems and a Joseki tutor help you improve your game.
Major Features in Version 11
- Great graphics. Beautiful and adjustable 3-D slate and clamshell stones with shadows, and realistic wood grain. You can rotate the board, or add coordinates. Won the "Best Design" award at the 1991 World Computer Go Championship.
- Sound effects. Realistic clicks and capture sounds, and sounds for pass, IGS match, etc.
- Strong AI go player. 10 levels of play, from about 20 Kyu to about 8 kyu. 1998 World Computer Go Champion. Especially strong at life and death reading.
- Excellent Go tutorial. Over 100 screens of text, examples, and simple problems teach you the rules, elementary tactics and strategies.
- Go problems. Over 2000 go problems for all levels of player. The program selects problems for you based on your strength, and tracks your strength as you solve them. Problems appear in different orientations and colors to aid learning. Go problems can be upated over the internet, and it is easy for you to add additional problems or problem sets.
- Play go on the Internet. An Internet Go Server is built in so you can play go on the internet with the familiar Many Faces interface, and use its powerful editing features to comment your games.
- Move suggestions. At each move it can show suggestions for next move, by category (such as attacking, invading, endgame, etc). Can also show liberty counts and/or group strengths for all groups. The computer can show its lookahead while it is thinking.
- Move explanations. Can explain why it made a move or suggested a move for you.
- Game Score Graph. Graph your score at each move. Click on a move to go to that position. Computer solving of go problems. The computer can solve life and death problems in yor games to help you improve.
- Extensive Game Databases. Thousands of games to play through. Hundreds of professional games with commentary. About a thousand uncommented professional game records, organized by tournament. About a thousand commented amateur games from the Go Teaching Ladder. Over 4,000 uncommented very strong amateur games.
- Powerful Game Editor. Can present for review any game in the standard Ishi format (.go) or the popular Smart Game Format (.sgf). When reviewing a game you can try to guess the next move. A wide variety of marks are supported. You can add commentary or variations. Use ctrl-click to move directly to any move in the game. Insert, delete, or drag stones to new positions. Great for recording your own games for later study.
- Choice of rule sets. Can play and score using all major rule sets (Japanese, Chinese, GOE, and American).
- Can play either colour, or serve as an electronic go board for two people.
- Can give or receive a handicap.
- Extensive Fuseki Libraries. Libraries of opening sequences on the whole board from professional games. At each position, shows the popularity of each next move. Two libraries are included, one which includes all moves from about 5700 professional games, and one which includes an additional 29,000 strong amateur games.
- Extensive Joseki Tutor. Over 45,000 move library of standard corner sequences is available for browsing or testing. Includes joseki, near-joseki, trick plays, and responses to many bad moves. Use it to look up variations, or to test your joseki knowledge.
- Remote play. Uses the Computer Go standard modem protocol for play with any other go program that supports this protocol. Either player can make moves for either colour, allowing discussion or teaching games. Players can type messages to each other during the game.
- Printing of go diagrams or full games with numbered moves.
- On-line manual with information on history, tournaments, professionals, etc.
Artificial Intelligence Strength Rating for the Many Faces of Go
Go ratings for amateurs are on a scale that starts around 25 Kyu for beginners, goes to 1 kyu, then 1 dan, then 6 dan or so for the strongest players. Most people who are serious about studying the game, and have stronger players to play with, can get to 10 kyu in about a year, and 1 dan in 3 to 5 years. American (AGA), Japanese, and NNGS ratings are a little weaker than ratings in China, Taiwan, Korea, Europe, and IGS.
Go programs are hard to rate accurately, since they each have areas of strength, and other areas of weakness compared to people. So far no one has made a go program that can learn from its mistakes, so once someone has played a few games against a program, they can change the handicap against it by several stones.
Many Faces of Go has a 6 Kyu diploma from the Japanese Nihon-Ki-in, based on test games against rated Japanese players and some sample play against a 9-dan professional.
Many Faces maintains a rank of around 10 Kyu on NNGS, based on hundreds of games against many different players.
"Many Faces version 11 has in one package almost all of the features available in any other Go program. It is suitable as an introduction to Go for complete beginners, and has plenty to offer to experienced players. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who has a 32-bit Windows system " - British Go Association.
IBM-PC or compatible
Pentium or faster
Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, XP, or 2000
64 MB main memory
32 MB hard disk space.
Download / Installation Instructions
Important information; you will be emailed download instructions for your copy of Many Faces of Go. Once you have downloaded the self-extracting archive, please make a backup copy on CD for your own records. Upon installation, please ask to install a TRIAL SYSTEM. This will connect to verify your copy and then unlock it to create a fully functioning version.
Many Faces of Go is licensed for your own personal use only, and your copy is automatically encrypted by our secure copy protection. Illegal copies are easily traced and will automatically be disabled. Please note that Many Faces of Go Download is protected by CopyMinder copy protection, which requires occasional internet access for verification purposes. If you are going to use Many Faces of Go Download on a laptop when travelling with no internet connection, the advice from CopyMinder is to run the Many Faces of Go Download before you leave home so that the copy protection will be refreshed. Please note that this does not apply to the CD-ROM edition.
The download size is about 7 megabytes.